I recently came across a listing of nine churches in Johnson City in 1908, which was three years after the devastating downtown fire. The find reveals a lot of key information about these places of worship:
1. First Baptist Church: the “Little White Church”): E. Main Street; Rev. Clarence Hodge, Pastor; Pastorium, 111 Harris Avenue; Sunday School, 9:15 a.m.; Preaching, 10:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m.; BYPU (Baptist Young Peoples Union), 6:30 p.m.; Prayer Meeting, Wednesday, 7:30 p.m. The church relocated after the fire to Watauga Avenue and eventually to Roan Street where it acquired a new name: Central Baptist Church.
2. Christian Church: E. Main Street; Rev. J. Lem Keevil, Pastor; residence, 209 Buffalo Street; Bible School, Communion and Sermon at 10:30 a.m.; YPSCE (Young People's Society of Christian Endeavor) at 6:30 p.m.; Preaching 7:30 p.m.; Prayer Meeting, Wednesday, 7:30 p.m.
3. St. John's Church (Episcopal): Roan Street and Myrtle Avenue; Rector, Rev. W.H. Osborne; Rectory, 208 Unaka Avenue; Services: Eastertide Ladies' Guild, 2 p.m.; St. Mary's Guild, Thursday, 2 p.m.; St. Andrew's Brotherhood, Wednesday, 7:30 p.m.;, Sunday, 7 a.m., Early Celebration: 9:15 a.m. Sunday; Sunday School, 10:30 a.m.; morning prayer and sermon, Friday, 7:30 p.m. instruction; 8:00 p.m., choir practice.
Methodist Episcopal Church
4. First Methodist Episcopal Church: Corner of Main (frontage) and Roan streets (side); Pastor, Rev. A.S. Beaman; Parsonage, 100 S. Roan Street; Sunday School, 9 a.m.; Preaching, 10:30 a.m.; Epworth League, 6:30 p.m.; Evening Preaching, 7:30 p.m.; Prayer Meeting, Wednesday, 7:30 p.m. (Older people may remember this location as the old King's Department Store).
5. Market Street M.E. Church, South: Rev. S.H. Vaughn, D.D. Pastor; Parsonage, corner of E. Market and S. Roan Streets; Preaching, 10:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m.; Sunday School, 9 a.m.; Epworth League meets 45 minutes before evening preaching;, Prayer Meeting, Wednesday, 7:30 p.m.
6. First Presbyterian Church: Corner Main and Humboldt streets (street now defunct, once located south from Main Street and one block west of the railroad); Rev; J. Edmunds Brown, Pastor; manse at 116 Watauga Avenue; Sunday School; 9:15 a.m.; Preaching, 10:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m.; C.E. 6:45 p.m.; Prayer Meeting, Wednesday, 7:30 p.m.
7. United Brethren in Christ: Church and Parsonage, corner Roan Street and Watauga Ave.; Rev. C.H. Berry, Pastor; Sunday School, 9:15; Preaching 10:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m.; YPSCE at 6:30 p.m.; Prayer and Bible Study; Wednesday at 7:30 p.m.
8. Watauga Avenue Presbyterian Church: Rev. Jere A, Moore, Pastor; manse at 606 E. Watauga Avenue; Sunday School, 9:20 a. m.; Preaching, 10:45 a.m.; C.E., 7:30 p.m.; Prayer Meeting. Wednesday, 7:30 p.m.
9. Catholic Church: Mission House, (behind Science Hill High School on E. Market Street); first Sunday of every month; Mass and Catechism, 10:30 a.m.; Benediction, 3 p.m.; E.T. Callahan, Mission Priest.